1.01.2011

It's a new year...

I quote a tweet from my favorite biblical scholar and teacher, John Piper (he is finally back on twitter after an 8 month sabbatical): "God promises new troubles (Matt. 6:34), new mercies (Lam. 3:23) and new hope (2 Cor. 4:16) for every day this year."

This morning I didn't plan to start off my day with a prayer. It's not something I usually do first thing in the morning. Don't get me wrong, I want to develop the habit but my mornings are usually quite busy and when it's not (like the past 2 weeks since I've been on holidays) I like to lay still in bed, thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. Mindlessly at times (as of recent), I check twitter. This morning, when I happened upon John Piper's tweet, I couldn't help but say aloud to myself "So true." And I immediately closed my eyes and spoke to God, acknowledging him as the God I love and serve as Lord and King, sovereign over all that happens in my life here on earth.

It's a new year and one that will indubitably be filled with promise, hope, dreams coming true (because God is always so good to us) but also one of trouble, frustration, anxiety, perhaps grief and sorrow, and pain. Let's not kid ourselves. The world isn't a happy place and unless you aren't human (or an escapist - but even then you still confront unwanted human emotions) you'll have to agree. One thing (okay, three things) I'm certain will remain unchangeable, unshakable, almighty, and loving throughout all my experiences and emotions this new year is God's presence, his power, and his peace. If we acknowledge Him in all things, I firmly believe that nothing will be able to rob us of the fullness of joy that is found in knowing that he is near at all times. Even those times when we don't feel him there.

So, cheers to a new year. May it bring each of us one step (or even more) closer to knowing ourselves and our Creator better so that we can joyfully live out the life he intends for us to live through Jesus - to the praise of His glory.

No comments: