10.06.2011

The Importance of Being Earnest

No, not the trivial comedy by Oscar Wilde but the attitude of earnesty when it comes to what's important in this life. Namely, God, family, people and in that order.

Not working for the past six months has allowed me to take a step back and analyze how I spend my days and time. Granted, I did just have a baby and a lot of my time (especially in the beginning) was put towards learning how to care for a baby and then actually caring for her basic needs which is essentially what motherhood is in the first three months. But now that I've gotten a grip on raising an infant (no longer a newborn), I really can't use 'just had a baby' as an excuse for not making the most of each day. Especially being off from work. Hence, regardless of what season of life you find yourself in, it is still of utmost importance to be earnest in the way of seeking God and His righteousness, loving the people God has given to you as family, and extending His love to all people.

I've been mulling over the fact that I haven't built many long-standing relationships with people outside of my church family; and this bugs me. Back home this wasn't an issue really, perhaps because into adulthood I retained a lot of highschool friendships with many people. There was history there which, I guess, made the grounds on which to build a friendship more substantial in some way. But since moving to Calgary, I've found that the only place I've made (and make) new friendships is at work. And it's also at work that these friendships are usually maintained. It doesn't quite help that I'm not permanent at any school, although that really shouldn't matter when a solid friendship is formed. But like any relationship, time needs to be invested regularly in order for the relationship to grow. That, and an openness of sorts. And if that's not really happening, then relationships become polite acquaintance, nothing much else. Many of my short friendships with the people I've made since moving here (outside of the church, that is) have turned into polite acquaintance. I guess to some extent that is bound to happen. But what I am struggling to come to grips with is how I've approached these friendships. How did I (do I) allow the Lord to speak through me, shine through me, in these friendships? When opportunities arose (arise), how did (do) I make the most of them?

To put it plainly, I am not earnest when it comes to sharing the gospel message of God's love to others. This is a difficult admittance, even to myself. I can effectively teach the Bible to believers, proclaim God's love in song, exhort God's people to worship. But, unless an obvious opportunity to share my faith to an unbeliever presents itself, I don't. Instead of creating opportunities, I wait for them. And it is in simply waiting that nothing happens. As believers, we are encouraged to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thess. 5:17). But that does not always mean to pray and just sit and wait. Sometimes, it does. But other times, and more often, it means to pray while simultaneously allowing God to work in us and through us; and in doing so our very attitude and conduct become God's answer to our prayers (Philippians 2:12).

But if I'm not earnest, nothing - really - will change.

St. Francis of Assisi is once quoted as saying: "Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words." While I wholeheartedly agree with the motive and essence of this statement, I can't reduce words to secondary importance in the endeavor to preach the gospel. If I do, I will never learn to open my mouth but instead simply trust that my life alone will do all the preaching necessary for a person to understand salvation and God's love. But Jesus's very life, not only his words, teaches us otherwise. Both word and deed are of equal value when it comes to the Christian message; they go hand in hand. The Bible teaches us that "faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ" (Romans 10:17).

So I'm left with this: I need to continue to pray, pray, pray...and move. I pray for opportunities, but I also need to create those opportunities. I need to make the phone call, write the message, send the text, take out for coffee or lunch or dinner, host a meal, etc.

Time to seriously invest my time and money in people who need to hear and know Christ.

No comments: