2.27.2008

Food for thought....literally and figuratively!

Lately, I've been totally diggin' deep dish pizzas from Costco. I think they are a Sabatorini brand or something like that. Regardless, they are just so good. I don't think I will ever get sick of them *cross my fingers* But I won't be surprised if one of these days I do because I've been eating them like every other day! The only downer is that every time I eat one I always burn the roof of my mouth because I can't wait for it to cool before I start eating it. And, and I'm being literal here, I savor every single delicious bite of sausage-cheese-green pepper goodness. I honestly take my time chewing and biting and biting and chewing. Just like I do when I eat mini eggs. I love mini eggs. They are my utmost favorite chocolate any time of the year, any day of the week, after any meal. Hands down.

Yes, food is good. But as Jesus said, "Man cannot live on bread alone..."

I don't really consider myself a "smart" person. And by smart I mean academically, since that is the measurement of intelligence these days. When I think of smart, I usually think of doctors and nurses. Maybe because they deal with the human body, something I can't easily explain or understand. But I also think of historians and professors, those who study literature and can speak in highly structured forms and conjure literary conundrums. Either way, my personal definition of "smart" always has something to do with being super analytical and well-spoken, and I know that lot of other professions fall into that mix (don't get offended now! ;P). Even though I often awe and, I confess, a tad bit envy those considered intelligent by academic proportions, I have become all the more convinced that intelligence is nothing compared to wisdom and both are not of the same vein. One can be smart or intelligent and yet a fool in God's eyes. Likewise, one can be wise and yet "dumb" by the world's standards. You may be smart, but a fool; or wise, but considered stupid.

"The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God stronger than man's strength."

What's more...

"For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."


And lastly,

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."

While intelligence is nurtured in education and academics in our day and age, wisdom is begot by a reverent fear of God. While intelligence rationalizes wrong-doing and self-centered gain, wisdom admits when it has acted otherwise and cares for the hurts of others in the process. While intelligence says, "I'll believe God when I see God", wisdom says, "I'll live by faith because there is nothing to lose." While intelligence boasts in its rewards and acclaim, wisdom is humble. What does it have to boast when it is Christ's reward? While intelligence retaliates when it's fur coat of pride is jeered at (or competed with!), wisdom is grateful for each kink in its armor. While intelligence hopes for the best when it encounters something it cannot fix or change, wisdom prays without ceasing. While intelligence says "Why is this happening to me? I'm a good person. I shouldn't be suffering like this?!", wisdom cries, "Lord, what are you teaching me? How do you want to change me? Help me to trust in you!"

If the things that come from God, revealed through His Word, are foolishness to us, then maybe we do not have the Spirit of God, as Paul states. If we, having professed to be His followers, do not accept the rebuke or conviction that the Spirit gives and much more, continue in disobedience and sin and reject correction, then it is likely that we are not genuine, true believers in Jesus Christ, as Paul reveals. Of course, don't get me wrong. I am not talking about perfection here but rather, humility. We all experiences struggles in our journey of sanctification because our human nature is what it is - human. And it will resist change. But what counts is a life willing to be changed, desiring and striving for a Spirit-led, Spirit-filled existence with abandon and free from rationalization.

I've heard the saying "You can't judge me" one too many times. What does that even mean and why do people resort to that statement as a weak defense? What is one defending? Or rather, rationalizing? Truth be told, "The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: 'For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?'

Likewise, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

Doesn't God's Word just paint a clear picture of wisdom for you? It does for me. And as I continue to journey with my God, the picture becomes even more clearer. And what's more, I'm a part of the painting because my life is hidden in Christ and Christ's life is in God.

Blessed hope!!!

No comments: