1.05.2011

It's all relational.

Today after work I had "coffee" (a smoothie) with a friend and was reminded of the importance and necessity of friendship and encouragement, conversations and growing. Which requires another to happen. I've always been an introvert to some extent, scoring high on the "deep thinker" category of personality tests and preferring time alone (surprised?) over time in a crowd, even a crowd of friends (I'm a closet loner ;p). But I'm learning that although I have my personal preferences and personality traits, imitating Christ and being conformed into Christlikeness involves and demands a stretch of (or out of) the intently personal side of ourselves. Something that only God is able to do in me.

One of my personal desires and commitments this year (and every year but particularly this year since who knows how long we have to live) is to experience personal and spiritual growth. On the physical (and I guess mental) front that is inevitable (I'm going to be a Mom soon! - God willing); growth in the spiritual aspect, however, doesn't happen without intention, discipline, and a surrender to the molding of the Holy Spirit, even if that requires rebuke, being vulnerable, being corrected, or getting my 'pride' hurt. And although we can never underestimate the power and work of the Holy Spirit to reveal much of our weaknesses, shortcomings, and faults to us directly and primarily through the Word, we can't deny that He also uses people to "sharpen" us - "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." But again, this doesn't happen without the right heart to receive it or the humility to ask for it.

I listened to a wonderful online sermon on wisdom by Joshua Harris a couple of weeks ago that has left an impression on my heart. Click on the link below to be re-directed to the site. Enjoy and be changed for His glory and our joy.

An Indicator to Whether You Are Wise or Foolish: "An Indicator to Whether You Are Wise or Foolish from the Desiring God blog."

No comments: