8.04.2008

New House Smell

Unlike new cars, new houses don't really have any particular smells. I guess they just smell like those who inhabit(ed) them. If so, then the previous owners of our new place didn't smell like anything at all. But maybe not smelling like anything at all is a smell, just an unnamed one. Or a neutral smell. Anyway, you decide. I'm writing my first blog as the newest member in the community of Evanston. Well, it's been 4 days already, so maybe we're not the newest, but one of the newbies ;) Unfortunately, our internet hasn't been installed yet so I'm using one of our neighbors' signals. It has been a busy couple of days. We moved in just this past Friday and over the long weekend crammed in unpacking and furniture shopping (still!!!). The good thing was we didn't have a lot of stuff to begin with, so unpacking is basically finished (except for "my" room - which is the office). It feels great to finally be in our own place since getting married (not a basement suite, or the parents' basement ;P). I've been on a cleaning rampage since we moved in. I think I've totally inherited my mom's "clean freak" gene. It just needed the right environment to finally emerge! But honestly, we are so blessed. And I know that this house belongs to the Lord. I'm excited to open it up for bible studies, get togethers, random chillaxin, friends from Edmonton AND the Westcoast (hehe).

So that's the upside. The downside? Paying a mortgage, hydro, water, cable, internet, house insurance, tax, etc. Basically, paying FOR the house. Haha. I want the luxury of my own home without the inconvenience of everything else required for getting and maintaining ownership. Too bad real life's not that simple, eh?

On a side note: upon unpacking Dale's old stuff from back in the day, I came across a box load of oooooooold school r&b CDs from the 90s (ie. Tamia, Craig David, 112, Destiny's Child, Kai, Damage, Tevin Campbell, TLC - just to name a few!)... Ah, the good old (young) days!!!

No comments: