4.10.2008

Hello, Hewlett.

That's the name of my new laptop. You can probably guess why ;P My darling husby surprised me yesterday when I got home from work with a brand spankin' new computer just for me! I've been using my parents' computer to do school stuff because Dale's old Toshiba keeps overheating and shutting down. My ibook has been deficient since last summer. The saying "Once you go Mac you never go back" certainly doesn't apply to me. I told Dale that the next laptop I want will be a PC. So yesterday I come home from work, eat, and go to the computer to check my email, facebook, the usual quick check of random sites. Then Dale says, "Why don't you use your computer to do that." Not catching on, I think he's referring to his computer. So I say, "I don't want to use your computer because it always shuts down on me!" There's a short pause before he repeats the phrase "Why don't you use YOUR computer to do that", with added emphasis on the "your". So here I am today with my new pal Hewlett. He's clothed in a beauty of shiny white. I'm totally in the new computer phase: washed hands before usage, Norton checks every 5 minutes, etc. This baby has 7 hours of battery life!!! I hope he lasts longer than my Apple did.

Anyway, I'm almost near the end of my second week of work. I've experienced an array of emotions since starting, all of which I am continually surrendering to the Lord. There's so much I want to already know and be able to do as a new teacher, but I can't because time isn't on my side. I've only just begun and at this point in my career, it's all about trial and error. I'm trying to get over the superficialities of the job and really develop and improve my teaching practice and knowledge of student learning. This week I realized that I really need to get involved with the school community instead of just hiding away in my classroom, as much as I need to because of all the constant planning/marking that demands immediate attention. One thing I definitely want to learn how to do sooner rather than later is to relax. Flexibility is not something that comes naturally for me. I like doing things according to plan; but I know with teaching that doesn't always happen.

The Lord is continually teaching me what it means to trust Him, rely on Him, depend on Him. It's in the little things as much as it's in the big things that He desires faith to believe that He is who He says He is and can do what He says He can do. I wonder sometimes how unbelievers deal daily with the stresses of work, worries of life, and unexpected circumstances that surround them without God in their life. I know what it's like to live off of the last of the strength left in me and what it's like to draw strength and wisdom from the Lord and nothing compares to the latter. The benefits of living by the Spirit are countless, the foremost being that He fills my soul and the longing deep within that only He was meant to fill. My heart sings praises to His Name!

I'm counting down until the new Office episode begins. Ten more minutes! Welcome back all my favorite actors and most especially the bubbly feelings I get when I see PB & J!

No comments: